Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hail Fail

Last night Charlotte got hit with a pretty nasty hail storm out of nowhere. The weather all day was great- warm and sunny. Next thing you know, quarter to baseball sized hail! Very glad our cars were parked in the garage. I have a feeling a lot of people are calling their insurance companies today.


Our raised garden bed took a real beating. Most of my poor tomato plants are missing branches this morning. We hadn't even put the cages on yet, so there was nothing to deflect the hailstones.


The basil got smacked around pretty good, but not as bad as our cilantro- which pretty much got pounded into oblivion. :(


More tomato carnage. Thankfully the container-planted tomatoes were virtually unscathed. Frank moved them next to the fence yesterday afternoon while he was mowing, so the fence and two trees above them deflected most of the hail. There were tons of leaves and twigs in the containers this morning from their tree-shield, but other than that they seemed unaffected.

Gardening news was not all bad this morning though, as I noticed while plucking debris from the raised bed that our onions have started sprouting! Yay! I adore red onions. My favorite vegetable, hands down. If I get one edible tomato and one edible onion out of this garden, I'll consider it a success.


Sewing projects continue. Icarus is trying to help. Post-storm it's very cold and gray outside today, so I have a feeling I'll have ye olde sewing machine cranking much of the afternoon. I may make a run out to the fabric store later to see if I can get any good clearance scraps.

No comments:

Post a Comment